SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying from a private party, not a broker
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2002

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Buying from a private party, not a broker

First, let me say that I have very limited experience when it comes to shopping for a boat. So far, I''ve looked at a few boats with the help of a broker, and have also looked at two boats with the help of the current owner''s. I all cases so far, the owners were more helpful than the brokers. They obviously knew more about their own boat, and were more willing to share the boat''s short-comings.

Perhaps I''ve been lucky in that I''ve dealt with honest owners, but perhaps that''s the norm rather than the exception.

With regard to price, one owner was very clear, that if he could sell the boat without the broker, the price would be less. The boat had some problems I could not live with, so the deal didn''t go through.

I''m currently negotiating another for-sale-by-owner boat. If the rest of the process turns out as good as that done thusfar, I''ll have the boat before the end of the month. I honestly don''t think a broker would have made the deal any better, but of course, we did not go that route, so I can''t be sure. ;^)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook