SailNet Community - View Single Post - Refrigeration -Using the water tank as a cooling water source
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have the Mermaid Marine Air heat pump system aboard (strictly AC on the dock even if I have the inverter, because it's an energy piggie: 10 amps for cooling and 17.5 for heat; 12,000 BTUs) and I wonder if the A-B fridge works on the same principles. I understand that it works with a differential between the water and the air temperature, and that it won't work if the water is below 40 F/5 C. Which is unfortunately when I'd want to heat the boat most!,

It's nice to have the A/C at the dock in the summer, but seriously, I'm thinking it's just taking up space in the long run if we want to go passagemaking. The only plus I can see is if we spring for a dock with power or maybe devote the entire Honda genset to it in order to cool off the boat. I suppose I could remove it and the ductwork, leave the vents in place, and gain a fair bit of stowage. I could repurpose the March pump as a backup pressure pump.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook