SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mount above-deck gas tank below-deck?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Mount above-deck gas tank below-deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaking View Post
Mine has the "vomit red" stripe.
Now, if I can only find out where to buy one of these tanks. There's a 6 gallon on ebay for $200. I notice the Moeller site says "approved for use in Australia, New Zealand, Japan". I wonder what that's about.
Humm...

A quick search reveals these units still being offered by Budget Marine in Martinique but no longer offered by either Defender or West Marine or other state-side vendors (of which I was not aware when I offered my suggestion and for which I have no explanation). Other than the used equipment-market, state-side, I don't see many economic solutions to obtaining one. As a practical matter, if you have some building/fabrication skills, you could make up a small platform that your could temporarily hang on your transom to secure a 3-gallon tank to while you were sailing/under-way (but storing them in the ****-pit while you're away from/off the boat). In any case, I would not succumb to the temptation to temporarily mount an outboard tank below deck, elongated vent tube or not.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook