SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI Moorings Charter - Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
BVI Moorings Charter - Suggestions?

We have three couples in 20''s & 30''s planning to charter in a Flotilla from Moorings. Money is an object but so is sanity and some degree of privacy.

One of our party must take all vacation in January & February. I believe the rest of us are reasonably flexible.

We have noticed that different times of year carry different price tags. Is January always cheaper than February for BVI chartering and Why?

We have heard that Flotillas are lots of fun. It does not appear that Moorings offers a flotilla in Jan or FEB next year. Is this always the case? Any thoughts on Flotilla vs. Bareboat?

We have heard good things about Moorings. Should we be looking elsewhere or are they the right firm for those of us who have not chartered before?

There are lots of boats available. With 3 couples the 3 cabin 2 head configuration seems best price/convenience combination. How small is too small? What is normal size for 3 couples?

Moorings seems to have mostly Beneteau boats and a few others. Are there any boats in this fleet that should be avoided due to performance issues? Any that should be sought out?

What about the Club vs Exclusive line at Moorings? Does it make a big diffence to have a new boat vs a 3-5 year old boat?

We have lots of questions. Each couple currently owns a boat in the 25 -27 foot range. Some of us have had experience sailing on boats up to 40 feet. Are we asking too much of ourselves to charter a boat over 40 feet or would we be better suited for handling something around 35 feet?

Are there different requirements for chartering bareboat vs. a flotilla? What certification level is needed if any?

I know these are a lot of questions. we are talking about very big and expensive boats and a dream vacation. I think much investigation and foreknowledge is necessary before embarking on such an adventure!

Thanks in advance,

Mike
in CANADA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook