SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Classic:
Fact is I fought against the "natural" finish on NIGHT RUNNER from day one. Doug and I both ordered half models. Doug wanted his varnished I ordered mine with a black hull. I thought that if Doug saw the boat with a black painted hull he'd cave and go for the paint. But no.

My problem with natural hulls is that the grains today is not as uniform as it once was. Grain differences can raise aesthetic havoc with the lines of the hull. I want a homogenius finish that will show of the lines I have designed into the boat and the best way to get this is paint.

I was very happy when Doug finally decided to paint the sides of the cabin trunk after 30 years. Unfortunately he chose a "refrigerator" white while I favored a softer foam green.

But I have learned over the years that the paint job of my boats is most often where my advice is ignorred. But I'm not adamant about colors. The color of the boat will not change the performance and truth be told colors is not really one of my strong points.

At least I don't have to deal with the BS paint approach where his boats usually look like the builder got a deal on some off color at the hardware store and painted hull, deck, cabin trunk, railings and coamings all one color. Lovely. I do understand that it makes upkeep easier but it looks baaaaaaad.

Look to the upper right in this photo just to the left of my pipe rack and you can see the black hulled NIGHT RUNNER model.

For contrast here is my Australian buddie's boat ECLIPSE. It is very close to NR in general hull shape but painted dark flag blue. I think it is stunning. The hawse style anchor arrangement is now gone and replaced by a traditional roller off the sprit. And yes, No question, I do love posting photos of my beautiful, functional designs. " A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 01-08-2014 at 06:06 PM.