SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting into sailing
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014

Ferroflame is on a distinguished road
Getting into sailing

Howdy folks!

I'm looking to venture into the world of sailing! My end goal is to sail around the world, but starting on lakes and rivers seems like the thing to do. I've done a bit of research to familiarize myself with all the terms and basic techniques, but I'm lacking hands on experience.

I've been looking at Glen-L plans online, mainly small dinghies as a trainer to learn the basics of building and sailing. I figured building one of those would be a nice starter project to get some building experience and see how much I enjoy it. Afterwards I imagine I'd look into building a larger craft, with the smallest suitable design being the "James Cook" 27'. I chose this design because it's the smallest craft I could see myself living and traveling on that I can build at home. I should also be able to theoretically sail it from the Kentucky River down to the Caribbean, and from there anywhere.

Of course, if I found that constructing a boat was beyond my abilities or I didn't have enough time to work on it I could always buy a similar boat instead. I've seen decent ones around the same size starting around $5K, so that wouldn't hurt the bank too bad.

If anyone has advice, suggestions or other helpful information I would be more than welcome to hear it! Thank you all very much for your time.

(PS, I was going to add links to the Glen-L site but I can't until I've made 10 posts. Oh well, a Google search takes 5 seconds if you want to look it up.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook