SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
While it's fashionable to blame the US Govt for everything these days, don't you think that the poor performance of Spinlock Deckvest in real-world situations might just have something to do with it? I wouldn't pay the inflated price for that thing, no matter how cool it looks:

Report Cites Problems with Spinlock Deckvests - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article
Good read. Thanks. Certainly, the advantages of a Spinlock have nothing to do with looking cool. Does it look cool? That's news to me and rather snide on your part, I just find it comfortable. I like the integrated harness, crotch straps included, replaceable bladder and easily maintained trigger and inflator. Not to mention comfort. It must be maintained to work properly. All vests do.

It wasn't clear if the deceased was wearing crotch straps, but they were also caught up in the rigging for a time, IIRC. At least when I bought mine, the straps came with the vest and I consider them mandatory, no matter the vest. Maybe some find crotch straps uncomfortable or don't snug them properly.

I did start to drift off in the US sailing report, so maybe they noted the recency of maintenance to their vests.

The suggestion that any vest be tested in the water, inflated, is a great one. I will bet 99% of boaters have never done so. One should have in-water practice climbing into a raft as well, which I now believe it mandatory in Safety at Sea. It was available but not mandatory, when I last took it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook