SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Good read. Thanks. Certainly, the advantages of a Spinlock have nothing to do with looking cool. Does it look cool? That's news to me and rather snide on your part...
Not sure why you're directing this at me. I was referring to this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Deckvest by spin lock has both. It's $369 at West Marine. It looks the coolest too.
From the Practical Sailor pic and caption that I showed above, it sounds like there's a design deficiency with the Spinlock that makes it more likely to malfunction.

If I were looking to replace my WestMarine inflatable, I'd look closely at the Mustang MD3184 HIT vest/harness. A more traditional "suspenders" design for much less cost than the Spinlock, with the superior performance of the HIT mechanism. I tried one on at Safety at Sea training last spring, and it was very comfortable.

Until I go offshore, my current WM coastal vest is fine. I have a separate harness that I use when needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-09-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook