SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting into sailing
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Getting into sailing

Welcome aboard.

I also offer the suggestion that you get out there and take some sailing lessons to determine your real level of interest.

You've set forth the mother load of ambition by having a circumnavigation on a boat you built as your goal. For almost everyone, that would be unrealistic. Unnecessary even. I've known lifetime sailors, good ones, that have never left the New England coast and they're jonesing to get back out there right now.

Great to have a dream, I'm not talking you out of it. But take it one step at a time and you may find other paths that are as fulfilling along the way. No point becoming disillusioned by not climbing Everest, when you've lived a life atop some of the most beautiful peaks on earth.

For what it's worth, it's very rare to find someone who has a passion for boat building and hard core sailing together. Many that spend years building their vessel, never sail it very far. Some not at all. The dream and buzz of building are not replicated offshore. Vice versa for those with an affinity to sail.

Best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook