SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI Moorings Charter - Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2002

Mama_Cocha is on a distinguished road
BVI Moorings Charter - Suggestions?

Hi Mike,
Here are a few answers that I hope will be helpful.
Bareboat vs. flotilla: if you have sailed before you do not need to be part of a flotilla unless you enjoy the "guided tour" atmosphere. Personally I think that 1/2 of the fun is in the planning and anticipation.

size of the boat: go as big as you can afford. The BVI are all about easy sailing, snokerling and relaxing. You want room. The perfect boat in my book is a cat but I am very biaised (see our web page).

January vs. February: It is probably cheaper for a couple of reasons one of them being that traditionally the winds are stronger in January, Christmas trades, as well as the swells that affect spots and anchorages open to the North.

Moorings and other charter fleets: You pay for what you get. The larger ones will provide you with better boats and better service should anything go wrong.

The real deal is to charter a boat from the owner in one of the big fleet directly. you get the boat, the service, at a discount of 25% or more.See our web page under booking from owners.
You can find a list of owners boats for direct charter at www.sailonline.com .
If you have ANY questions about the BVI and even specefic boats you will get your answers at www.traveltalkonline.com

To borrow a quote from a famous olympic moment " you can do it ".

Herve

http://home.earthlink.net/~hervel/index.html

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook