SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Size Dock Lines do I Need ?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
What Size Dock Lines do I Need ?

I don't have a perment slip, so the lines go with the boat...

27' 6800# shoal keel....working lengths I pretty well set with, but diameter and braid has me spooked...

I have 7" cleats on the boat and have been using a mix of 1/2" double braid, 1/2" three strand, and 5/8" 3 strand (stern,bow and midship respectivly) and while they are well weathered, they have for the most part held me secure.

However on one particularly breezy day tied off on the downwind side of a pier in an unprotected part of the bay, the waves really pounded pulled and yanked my boat to the point the lines started breaking...

I usualy tie on with three lines when one broke and then the three strand poped into a two strand...fortunatly I was on deck when it happened and was able to double up all three lines (6 total) until we were able to cut lose and pull away from the pier compleatly...

So I'm in the marke to replace/upgrade my lines...I'm thinking 5/8" all around, maybe 3/4" if that's not overkill and question if I should get 3 strand for strech or double braid for strength..?

What say ye...