SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prepping to re-bed stanchions.
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Prepping to re-bed stanchions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
Thanks. Is potting the holes necessary or just recommended? I've never worked with epoxy before.
It is the only way to guarantee that the core doesn't get wet. When core gets wet it doesn't remain in the area of the hole but eventually travels over a wide area. This is more common with plywood core than balsa core as the plies allow a path for the water to travel along the grain. The reason so many boats have wet core issues is because the builders didn't pot the holes properly to begin with. All fittings need re-bedding eventually or water will enter. This is especially true of stanchion bases and chainplates, the items that move the most from loads put on them. Butyl is in my opinion the best bedding compound and my deck has not had issues with water where butyl was used by CS when the boat was built. But my stanchion bases are not in cored areas.

I would definitely suggest potting the holes with epoxy. It is easy as shown in the link above. At the same time it would be a good idea to see if larger backing plates can be added to stiffen the deck in the area of the stanchion bases.