SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Mad sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The Australians are great sailors but if we took this video as an example, also mad sailors. Who would think of racing on these conditions? Olé!!!!

Notice how, in typical Australian fashion, the results at the end of the video list the crews with the men's names first. Does this mean the men are the skippers in each case? Perhaps. But I doubt it.

On a less serious note, racing in these kinds of conditions is what makes these among the best sailors in the world. It is an ISAF-level national event, after all, and these are Olympic class boats. Even though the wind is definitely up, the sea conditions are pretty manageable, with just the short chop and no big waves or confused seas.

I have often heard it said that European sailors are much more likely to go out in marginal conditions - i.e. big breeze - than their American counterparts. From my own experience I don't think this is necessarily the case, but that was mostly on San Francisco Bay, where if you don't like big breeze you wouldn't be able to sail very often.

But definitely the Aussies and Kiwis are not intimidated by big breeze.