SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Size Dock Lines do I Need ?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What Size Dock Lines do I Need ?

Quote:
I agree - 1/2" is all that is needed or they line will not stretch, putting more load on cleats. I have a CS27 of about the same displacement and have always used 1/2" double braid nylon. I also have a small snubber in the bow and stern line. I have had no issues in the 5 years I have had the boat. It does blow here - the wind hit 40 knots in the harbor last night and was measured at 52 knots a few miles away. It is blowing as I type - speed 28 knots with gusts of 38 knots.
YES, YES. No stretch is bad.

Bigger is not better. 1/2" with LENGTH is better. They always recommend your lines be 1 1/2 times the length of your boat. Obviously, all of your lines probably wouldn't need to be 45' long. I do recommend your spring lines being long with snubbers on your short lines. Don't forget chafe gear.

Quote:
I replace my docklines about every 3-4 years, or sooner if one shows signs of chafe. Old lines might look ok, but they become unreliable in a severe storm.
Cheap insurance. Looking for new gear 2 hours before a storm is not good. In addition; if tied to a dock, throughly TEST all dock cleats. I have seen numerous docks cleats rip out. It's happened to me and a friend of mines boat almost got sunk because of a bad dock cleat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook