SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question about Genoa Car adjustment
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I cannot remember the track on the 25, but in general, you should pull the track aft as you increase the jib (to genoa) size.

Here would be the basic steps:

1) With the car approx where you think it should be, run the genoa out. I always sight the sails and make sure I have a full shape. If it is too far aft, the foot wil be tight and the head loose, the opposite true if too far in. You want a full sail, if that makes sense? (easier to show than explain).

2) Tack to the opposote track. That will take the pressure off the jib sheet so you can adjust the car on the winward track. Move it forward or aft until you get the desired shape.

3) Tack again and check your shape. Repeat until you have the car set correctly.

4) Count the holes/length back and set the opposite track the same.

5) Put a marker or piece of tape at that location so you know which holes/distance corresponds to that sail. Thus, you do not have to repeat the process twice. This is all part of learning your boat and should be done in a controlled environment. When correctly set, you will see all of your tell-tails flying the same.

That is how I do it. Others may have a different solution.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook