SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prepping to re-bed stanchions.
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Prepping to re-bed stanchions.

you manually dry them...heaters blow driers etc...then take off all the loose stuff. pot(I preffer thickened epoxy as its easier to push into gaps and stuff and stay there)and then redrill to original size

again I stress climate, for example here it wont rain again till july...salty dry air on the boat

I have been contemplating for example making bronze bushings for my chainplate holes cause in essence if there is any moevement the bushing will wear and not the wood in the bulkhead, especially if you have water intrusion

I sealed off the bulkead edges to prevent stagnant water intrusion but I think pressed in bushings like used in motor vehicles will help prolong bulkhead life

OP sorry for the slight derail

I think if I may add that using other materials like delrin or nylon backing plates help prevent movement and water intrusion from movemeng and sealant failure thta casues decks to fail

wood os great it you constantly check it...the issue with wood backing plates for example is that wood is porous so it soaks up a lot of the leak you are trying to source so for stanchions say you had some nice nylon backing plates if you did have a leak and your deck holes are epoxied the only inconvenience would be extra bilge water

its extremely important to never add sealant from BELOW ever ever ever...if there is a leak you want to see it and fix it from above on any deck mounted hardware

stanchions included

the moment you seal from below you are kissing your decks goodbye in no time..especially if you have water intrusion and cored decks

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook