SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel engine help
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
turn over by hand, my thoughts

Hello,

I would put a large socket and breaker bar on the crank bolt and try to turn the engine over by hand. This will let you know if the engine is seized or not, water logged or not, etc.

If that works OK I would make sure there is fuel, oil, and coolant. Then I would connect a fresh battery and try to start it.

If it starts and runs, I would turn it off after a few minutes. THEN I would change fluids, filters, impellers, belts, etc.

If it doesn't start I wouldn't spend another penny until I knew why. No point in spending good money if the engine is shot.

If you start off by changing things, and it doesn't run, you have no way of knowing if you did something wrong, or if there is something wrong with the engine.

Case in point. My new to me boat came with an engine that ran great - when I could get it started. Since I knew the engine ran, my diagnosis was much easier. In my case the glow plugs were not getting power because of a bad connection. When I cleaned the contacts the engine became much easier to start.

Then I changed the fuel filters. And the engine would not start. It was because I bled the primary filter and secondary filter, but not the injectors. Since the engine ran before I touched the fuel filters, it had to be something I did.

If I just started changing things, trying to get the engine started would have been much more difficult.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook