SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dufour 38 - anyone have info?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Giu, you are the reference...

I've never raced...yet...and my knowledge is extremely limited and superficial ... but I would think that hull shape, weight and other design features have some importance to this discussion. For this Dufour 40, they did start with the standard hull including the construction materials and workmanship (yes?). They changed the keel (fair enough). Changed the mast and sails (you have to for this kind of race). lightened the boat....It makes sense if you have the $$$ and want to race with a specific boat to boost "the brand image". Add sailing skills and a little luck and you may have a winning combination. As was mentioned by 'dog' and "sailaway', its part of marketing. Just like BMW, FIAT or HONDA in F1. This is to me a legitimate attempt and activity for a manufacturer. (this is true in all sports. Do you think World Cup Downhill skiers use the same skis and boots we buy in the ski shops?). OK so they were not as publicly forthcoming in terms of the modifications as they should have been. Is this a surprise?

On a related note, I don't know if I'll ever begin to understand (or have the patience for) things like class rules etc. There is wayyyy too much history and attention to detail for me to get a handle on it. I find it extremely confusing in trying to compare boats given the extent of the parameters. like comparing apples with (not even oranges) more like with a ham sandwich or a shoe.... But I'm learning even though I'm not sure I want to....)

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook