SailNet Community - View Single Post - Extreme Cold
Thread: Extreme Cold
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road
Re: Extreme Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
I am so interested because you are doing this now and coping. You say you have sweaters so I will make an assumption that you did not have high $ high tech gear. Could you show the heaters ? You proved how to improvise adapt and overcome a difficulty.
How does your 1st mate feel. What is the crews the attitude.
I did stay a night out in a pup tent with only a candle in north west PA. during Jan winter 77-78. Not sure of the exact temp but it was negative no wind. It was a thing for a young person to prove. I am older now. I would not think of doing it ever again. I do not think I slept and I hiked out at daybreak. I believe I can tolerate heat better than cold if I have water to drink
I do not think my wife is ready for this much but she can be tougher than me at times.
Regards , Lou
The last house we lived in for two years was a very old house and about as drafty as you can imagine. We had to have the heat running non-stop and cranked up to 80 in order to keep it 60 in the house during those cold upper midwest winters. I could not get warm in that house. Prior to that it was a drafty motor home for 5 years.

So, that is one thing that a sailboat, that floats, has... It's pretty sealed up with no draft. Once we covered the companionway hatch with a thin $2.88 blanket from Wally World, it wasn't hard to deal with.

I've already put the Mr. Buddy propane heater away, but the picture I've posted is the heater we use when we have electric.

heater.jpg

We don't have any fancy cold weather gear. As a matter of fact, most of our cold weather gear is in storage because we had planned to be in Florida before it got cold.

I supposed that if a person is determined, they can do anything. It's not that bad. The bad part is when my wife opens the hatch to suck on a cancer stick and all the heat goes out and it takes 10 minutes to warm things back up again.

We have woken up more than once and have had the blanket edges frozen to the interior wall of the hull in the V-berth. We were warm and dry, but not so much on the wall.

Here is pic I found on the internet of the propane heater we use. I have a 10 hose I bought at Camping World that goes from the propane tank through the companionway hatch and into the cabin. The propane tank sits on deck in such a way that if there is a leak, it will "drain" off the side of the boat.

Mr-Heater-Portable-Buddy-1.jpg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook