SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI Moorings Charter - Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2002

wannasail is on a distinguished road
BVI Moorings Charter - Suggestions?

Hi Mike,
Wife and I have chartered in the Caribbean since 1993.
First boat was a 45'' Irwin Ketch. Big enough for the 4 adults and three children. Two berths, bunks on the port side and the salon. More then enough room. Also had a forward berthing area very forward. We kept this open for the bad ones on board.!!!
With six adults I would suggst a bigger boat.
Last two charters we had six adults. Chartered a 50'' Beneteau with four berths and four heads. Other one was a smaller Dufore.
Would recommend the bigger boat just for comfort. Small areas tend to close in after a time.
As for what charter company. Had no issues with Sunsail, North/South or Tradewinds.(older boats). Almost all larger charter companies are okay and no doubt the smaller ones are also.(no experience with smaller ones).
As mentioned in previous responses BVI''s are great. Wife and I did it by ourselves second time out in Guadeloupe and had no problems. Found that one is more alert and aware of surroundings as one enters an area for the night. As a result we never and I mean never had a problem. We discussed and made decisions together as with the other charters with friends/family.
Jan. & Feb. can be a bit challenging due to winds. Would suggest Feb. middle to end if high winds & wind gusts bother you and that is the time your set on going.
Much more fun and satisfying when you make your own decisions.
Final decision is yours.
Good sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook