SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1976 41'' TA CHIAO CT ??????
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
1976 41'''' TA CHIAO CT ??????

To me these are boats that are about ''show'' rather than go. There are designed to look like serious offshore cruisers but with a 32% ballast to displacement ratio, low density ballast, on a short waterline and the high center of gravity of a wooden sparred boat, this is not an offshore boat by my definition. Those kind of numbers suggest a rolly boat with relatively poor stability. Its great mass sends a false message about real performance in a blow. By the same token this is not a coastal cruiser either.

CT''s are very much a cult sort of boat. Over the years I have run into owners that love them and owners that really hate them. In the 1980''s when my mother was building and importing boats from Taiwan TA CHIAO was not considered to be a ''quality yard''.

Then there is the issue of painted masts. As someone who has owned and restored old wooden boats with wooden spars, I personally would never but a boat with painted wooden spars. As much as varnish requires a lot more maintainance, it serves a very critical purpose of allowing you to track changes in the mast; to tell if water is getting into the wood and rotting it out. As someone who has lost a mast over the side that had rotted out from the inside while having few visible signs on the outside, it is important to keep the mast in a condition where it can be inspected. This is especially true on CT''s which are notorious for having problems for rot problems in their masts, rot that can easily be masked by a paint job until its too late.

I won''t even go into the performance aspects of these boats because you would not be looking at a boat like this if you cared at all about performance.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook