SailNet Community - View Single Post - Early 40''s Looking For a 30
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2002

Dav-O is on a distinguished road
Early 40''''s Looking For a 30

Jeff_H,

Thanks for your comments. I''ve read your bio, and it sounds like you know your way around the world of sailing vessels. I''m looking to buy my first boat, and like a first house, it won''t be my dream, but it''s the early stage of a passionate adventure. I was crew on an S2 years ago in Carolina. We didn''t win any, but that might have been due to helmsmanship of the skipper more than limitations of the craft. I like racing, but I''m not a hardcore racing enthusiast. I want a boat that will point high in a close-haul. I also want a boat that will accommodate 2 adults and two kids on a weekend excursion off shore on the gulf. The Hunter looks like it''s high on creature comforts (for a Ford or Chevy), but the messages I''ve read make me wonder if the hull design leaves something to be desired. What might you recommend for a reasonable compromise between speed and comfort, considering 30 footers, built since ''95, priced under $70k? Also, I wonder about the vessel''s versatility of rigging. Clearly, I''m looking at a sloop-rigged cruising yacht, but I''d like to acquire a variety of sails for general purposes (e.g., mainsail, jib, genoa, spinnaker, spinnaker staysail, trysail, storm jib). Are some 30''s more versatile than others in this regard?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook