SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low hours on Yanmar 2QM20
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesser
I guess I'm confused. You're saying: Low hours = Bad? High hours = Good? Maybe in Bizarro world, but not the real world. I don't care what you say, I'll take a low hours, over high hours any day of the week. (oh, and sorry about the yahoo thing, I deleted it right after I posted it).
I never said that... I said that an engine with low hours that was not properly maintained could be very bad... and that an engine that was used regularly often received better maintenance, due to the regular use. I never said that low hours was always bad... but that you have to be careful of very low hours on an older engine, since that can often mean its maintenance was neglected.

From my previous post:

Quote:
Low engine hours can be a bad thing, as many people schedule their maintenance around running hours, and if that was the case, and an engine has low hours, it may be neglected
From Cam's previous post:

Quote:
The other danger with long spells beween start up is that the oil has settled and lost it's protective qualities in the cylinders during start up cycles...this could result in the scoring of cylinders and/or corrosion over time. Also oil that is not changed regularly can cause problems as it changes its' chemical composition.
BTW, an engine that is rarely used and rarely heats up to working temps can often get condensation in the cylinders, and that can lead to corrosion in the engine block that is really detrimental to the engine's health.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-31-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook