SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a trip through the ICW
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Once you leave Galveston Bay, anchorages and facilities are few and far between until Mile WHL 160 (Shell Morgan Landing at Intracoastal City). You have a 60 mile run from the Bay to the first anchorage (High Island Bridge is reported to be usable, but I went aground there with 4 1/2' draft) is at the Taylor Outfall Canal WHL 290. I would suggest you motor down the bay, so as to make Stingaree Marina (WHL 331) for your first night. That lets you make the Canal in daylight. From there, you can make the Calciseau Locks the next day, anchoring just south of the turn into the locks. That leaves you a days run to the Mermetau River, turning in on the north side to a wide cove. If weather is bad, there is an oxbow just off to starboard where you can anchor. From there, another's day run to Shell Morgan Landing. Then you have to decide on either a long 60 mile run to Morgan City, or a short day to Cypermort Point, then on to Morgan City the next day. Once to Morgan City, you are within a days run of everything else along the way.

Debris in the water can be an issue this time of year due to flooding, and you should check ahead to see if the Harvey Locks have reopened. Otherwise, you have to go upriver on the Mississippi to go into New Orleans. That's as far as my knowledge of the Ditch goes heading East.

I would be sure to carry extra fuel, and be aware, if you go up to Lake Charles, the Bridge Point Marina does not accept credit cards.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook