SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone taken a Columbia 28 offshore?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone taken a Columbia 28 offshore?

What does your boat have in the way of a motor ? My friend had the gasoline Atomic . That motor gave him a lot of trouble . I'm not saying that's a bad motor, no not at all . my wife before I met her had a Catalina 30 with a Atomic , that motor was smooth and reliable . On the other hand I know of some people that have problems with them(like what engine does not have problems !) Good news you can still get any part you need, and down here there is a guy who sells rebuilt replacement motors . Also you talked about sail combos . For sure you need a working set (main & jib) with reef points . If you don't have roller furling , you can still reef the jib . Check it out in The Sailor's Sketch Book ,it shoes you how to do that plus some other stuff . Finally you need a down wind sail , Spinnaker for sure . but if you are not into that , at least get a drifter . I don't have a Spin just a drifter . So what I do is pole out my jib to the windy side and set the drifter to leeward side . I would tell you how fast I go with that set up , but some people accuse me of lying about it, haha .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook