SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI Moorings Charter - Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2002

mdougan is on a distinguished road
BVI Moorings Charter - Suggestions?

I''ve chartered a 40'' center cockpit design from the Moorings, and it was very roomy for the two of us, and might be OK for 4 people but though it could sleep 6, it''s too crowded for my tastes. If I were going with 3 couples, I''d probably opt for the 50'' Beneteau, it''s a beautiful boat, loads of room, and looks easy to handle.

A similar sized cat would probably give you a lot more room on board, but you have to like cats...

Sailing is very easy in the BVI, and as long as you get to the site early enough to pick up a mooring (aim for no later than about 3:00 PM) then you should have no trouble. If you are at all concerned, go to the Moorings website and fill out a sailing resume and they will tell you what they will allow you to charter bareboat. (they also have captains available if you are still not feeling confident).

I would never consider a flotilla, as it''s that sort of crowd I''d like to avoid! But, it would be good if you wanted an introduction to the area perhaps.

The Moorings is a great chartering company, they are very professional, ensure you are properly briefed about where to go, properly checked out with a tour of your make of boat, and introduced to all the systems and how they work.

If price is an issue, the Club boats are fine. Though, it''s maybe a little more likely that you''ll have some minor mechanical problem. However, if you do have such a problem, the Moorings will send out a repair boat if necessary.

BTW, my favorite mooring spots are Marina Key and Cooper Island.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook