SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Robert Louis Stevenson, a cruiser.

I guess that cruising as a word did not exist at that time and the best he could find as a substitute was travel even if today cruising was more appropriated to what he wanted to describe. The quote is this one:

"I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel's sake. the great affair is to move...To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive.."

A cruiser I would say. If on those days small offshore cruising sailboats were almost non existent I am sure he would have own one and would have cruised it extensivelly and then he could have said:

I cruise no to go anywhere but to sail. I cruise for cruising's sake. The great affair is sailing

In fact he cruised on a sailboat, even if only for some years, a charted one:

"In June 1888 Stevenson chartered the yacht Casco and set sail with his family from San Francisco. ..The sea air and thrill of adventure for a time restored his health, and for nearly three years he wandered the eastern and central Pacific, stopping for extended stays at the Hawaiian Islands, where he spent much time with and became a good friend of King Kalākaua. .. He spent time at the Gilbert Islands, Tahiti, New Zealand and the Samoan Islands. ... Fanny undertook on the Casco from the Hawaiian Islands to the Marquesas and Tuamotu islands. An 1889 voyage, this time with Lloyd, on the trading schooner Equator, visiting Butaritari, Mariki, Apaiang and Abemama in the Gilbert Islands, (also known as the Kingsmills) now Kiribati. .."

I love the man and his personality. Some more quotes that in some way define him:

There is no foreign land; it is the traveller only that is foreign

To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life.

Youth is wholly experimental.

To hold the same views at forty as we held at twenty is to have been stupefied for a score of years..

"To be overwise is to ossify; and the scruple-monger ends by standing stockstill."

Most of our pocket wisdom is conceived for the use of mediocre people, to discourage them from ambitious attempts, and generally console them in their mediocrity. And since mediocre people constitute the bulk of humanity, this is no doubt very properly so.

Books are good enough in their own way, but they are a mighty bloodless substitute for life.

Wikipedia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook