SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Homes w/Slip in the Chesapeake Bay Area
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Best Homes w/Slip in the Chesapeake Bay Area

There is a little known compromise, that works well:
Water-privileged property.

My property is much less expensive than actual waterfront property, but my boat is a mere 5 minute walk down to the private, community dock where I store my boat.

These little communities were established in the 40's 50's and 60's (I think).
If you own property in the neighborhood, you have a right to join the "beach club". Many of these clubs have a private dock. You pay an annual club dues for access to the beach and for the slip.

I pay $575 dollars per year, for access to the private beach and a slip for my 30 foot boat w/5 foot draft. Water and shore power included. No bridges downstream. I can hoist my sails after a 10-15 minute motor out of the creek.

We elect a "dock master" who is a responsible member of the community, who is tasked with maintaining the dock and utilities. He puts a bubbler in the water, when the cove ices over, as well.

My house is so close, that I walk to the boat most of the time, unless I'm bringing down a bunch of heavy tools and work materials. Some of my more distant neighbors ride a golf cart or a "gator" down to the dock.

All the convenience of waterfront living, without the risk and hassle.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook