SailNet Community - View Single Post - catamarans
Thread: catamarans
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2002

Constantin is on a distinguished road
catamarans

Prout catamarans are usually wonderful designs for owners who want to sail around the world, not charter. Kitchens are big, so is the navigation station (big enough to keep the charts *unfolded*). The basic cats are, well, basic. Pretty easy to maintain and the things that do break aren''t too expensive (with the exception of the Z-drive perhaps).

Older Prouts can be had for very little money but usually require tender care - rewire, installing new windows, and the like. A couple of hundred hours later, you have a bluewater boat.

My family has owned two Prouts and loved the sailing characteristics of both: 37'' and 39''. What breaks our heart is how consistently bad the interior construction quality is on our more recent ''39. My understanding is that we have an "outlier". However, Prout refused to address most OEM defects on board and I find that unacceptable.

Lastly, Prout recently went bankrupt. Hence, for replacement parts you may be on your own. While a new sister-subsidiary of Quest Inc. called Prout UK bought some Prout Catamarans assets on liquidation, several smaller (and older) hulls are apparently discontinued.

Cheers!
Constantin von Wentzel
www.vonwentzel.net/Prout/
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook