SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live Aboard Marinas in Florida
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
I like catamarans a lot (don't let SD hear me say that).
Well said CD... and I heard the part about the cats.. You will fall to the dark side... oh...wait that's what catalinas are...

Dock space for catamarans, especially larger ones can be very difficult. The smaller cats, like the MaineCat 30 and the Gemini 105, aren't as bad, since these boats only have a beam of 14' or so... and will fit in a larger single slip.

A lot of companies dropped Florida as a state they would cover...and the companies that remain active in the state are pretty expensive.

CD's suggestion of NC or Texas (like Clear Lake) is a good one.

One advantage that CD didn't point out about multihulls, is the fact that during a hurricane, you have a lot more places you can put the boat due to the shallow draft. I know several cat owners who have gone up small creeks and effectively hidden from the hurricane in the smaller creek, which wasn't a possibility for deeper draft boats.

Another big advantage of the multihull is you're not spending vast amounts of time at a tilt... The angle of heel on a multihull, even under sail, is generally less than 10˚. That means you can put your drink down on a table, and ten minutes later, it will still be where you left it. This is especially important as one gets older, since it means you're less likely to slip and fall and get injured.

If you have questions about multihulls, let me know... If you're interested in them at all, you will probably want to get Chris White's The Cruising Multihull and Thomas Firth Jones's Multihull Voyaging. White's book is an excellent overview of the pros and cons of a multihull boat, and goes a bit more in-depth into the construction and design of the boat, as Chris is a boat designer. Both books are a bit dated at this point, being written about twenty years ago.

Also, a lot of the charter companies have gone to having catamarans in their fleets as they are very good boats for cruising the islands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-02-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook