SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: What boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't know what is doing the Elan 210 on your dreams but I don't think it would be of much use to you
I can explain...

My infatuation with the Elan 210 is strictly as a short-term solution, since it more and more appears that my offshore sailing goals are being pushed out further than I would like.

For racing / crusing within Long Island Sound and the northeast U.S. coast, the Elan 210 would be quite suitable, particularly at the quoted price point. The fact that it can be easily trailered also opens the option of Key West and the Caribbean, to some extent, as well as the Sea of Cortez, on the Mexico West Coast. And, with some modest upgrades, the boat might be able to qualify for the Singlehanded Transpac Race, from San Francisco to Kauai, Hawai'i.

The case for the Seascape 27 is the same, albeit more expensive by about 30-40%.

Going back to my long term goals, then we are definitely talking, again, about the Django 7.70 and the Archambault 31, as well as a few others. My wife, of course would prefer to see a Dehler 38 in her future (or now a Dehler 46, thanks to your earlier posting), but haven't figured out how the math would work for those choices. As in so many things in life, it's not the simple acquistion of something but the long term maintenance of it that becomes a challenge. I would not want a boat like the Dehler 46 if I was unable to maintain it in pristine condition. Boats that beautiful deserve no less.

But thank you for keeping my best interests in mind.