SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: What boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hummm....you are crazy!

Talking about your best interests, meaning by that your wife, as a short term proposition that would serve all the purposes you could have one of these. You can find them used at very nice prices and it is a beautiful boat, not ridiculous racing nor cruising:

Farr Yacht Design

First 35 yachts - Boats First 35 used, new and charter boats

Regards

Paulo
Alas, there are no used Beneteau First 35's on the market in North America (recent model, that is). And, to tell the truth, I have not seen one on the water locally (Long Island Sound). Not sure if they sold (m)any in the U.S. at all.

Of course, they haven't sold (m)any First 30's either.

As we have mentioned before, what they are selling is J/70's and, now, J/88's and not a whole lot more than that.

And not sure what you mean by "affordable" since 2010-2013 models of the First 35 are selling for more than $170K. I'm not saying that's outrageous - not much different than a new J/88, in fact - but definitely more than I want to spend for anything I'm not going to live aboard.

So I think I go back to my other strategy, which is to get a small, TransQuadra-style boat, and use the money I save for airplane tickets for the wife. I have quite a few friends who will be happy to join me for offshore sailing, even across oceans.