SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
The improperly called Euro Style:

Regarding euro style the disagreement is not only "sometimes" but about existing one

What you call Euro styles I call modern design (on a sense that like modern art is an Universal one). Some of the best designers of what you call "modern style" are American NA firms like Farr or Reichel & Pugh, others are from Oceania like Ker. Like modern art modern boat design is a "functionalist" one and beauty is clearly related with efficiency regarding sailing. What works better will become beautiful with time and is already beautiful to the eyes of the NA.

I am sure you understand but for the ones that don't this does not mean that I find that is the only right form to design a sailboat. Many times the differences in performance are not significant in what regards cruising but a "modern" Na will always go for the more efficient shape or form (because for him that is beauty) while someone that designs "on the tradition" will give more importance to classic or traditional shapes because on his eyes beauty is not only efficiency but also tradition.

Anyway, I like traditional and classic boats or boats that, like yours, that are on "tradition". I just don't think that what you call European style is an appropriated denomination. If you don't like to call them modern, you can it "Universal style"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-14-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook