SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Problem is it is not "universal". Folks still buy and build Chippendale furniture. It has timeless beauty and is very functional. I've built multiple pieces. They are still in daily use. There are timeless designs be they highboys, Bach, America or a turbo Bentley. There is a comfort provided by the white and wood of a Herreshoff interior or that of Bob's boats or a Morris or Outbound. My parents house was done in Danish modern and cutting edge Euro. My dad collected antique clocks and watches. It was striking to see these pieces displaced in that background. But when we broke their place up I kept the clocks and the furniture went elsewhere. My mom was an art educator and collected some. Same thing the modern art went elsewhere. The good representative art stayed. It's a different view. Not better or worse just different. It has nothing to do with function. Like saying a good rocker is less comfortable then a Morris chair then a Bauhaus then a Stress less. I like the Stress less ( a modern design) wife likes a shaker rocker.
In short Bob's boats are not slow but they are beautiful.