SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for keel/centerboard design
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
looking for keel/centerboard design

If you are looking for a solid but inexpensive boat for offshore, you might want to look at some of the older Bristol''s. The Bristol 32 in particular is shoal draft, certainly considered offshore and can be had at a good price. Not sure it would be my absolute first choice: by today''s standards they are slow and do not have large cabins. Still, they have a tremendous following...which signifies to me that people like how they sail and that you will be able to sell it should you decide to move up. I also think they have very nice lines.

I know an older couple who sailed theirs across to the Med and down to the islands each season for many years. Their kids would fly down and spend summers with them in the islands, so I guess it had enough room... at that time.

It depends on your budget and what kind of boat you want. A more modern 32ft would be much more spacious, faster and have much more updated wiring. But...if you want an offshore 32ft for under 20k, I think a Bristol would be on the short list.

I think Jeff might have more suggestions and more info on the attributes of different designs. Also, there is a thread somewhere on pocket cruisers.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook