SailNet Community - View Single Post - Draft help???
Thread: Draft help???
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Draft help???

I just got a boat with a true keel/CB design. A Wauquiez Hood 38 (Ted Hood design). I am very happy with the way she sails with the board up. I did quite a bit of research on the sailing characteristics of this kind of boat and the Hood 38 design specifically and found very favorable comments. In my limited experience sailing her (just got her), she points very very well w/o the board down, surprisingly well. She may be a bit tender at first, Ted Hood''s boats like to be sailed heeled, but even in a fresh breeze, I did not find the boat heeling with any more vigor or acceleration than any other boat.

You will need to differentiate between CB designs and true keel/cb designs, there is quite a difference. At first I thought the design was somewhat dated but you will find it used by quite a few larger expensive yachts like: Hinckley, Alden''s, Little Harbor and others being built today.

I would venture to say that a Ted Hood K/CB design would be very satisfying.

Now, all that said, to be fair, a fin keel boat SHOULD point higher and sail better upwind, if that is your goal. It really depends on the INDIVIDUAL boat. And, there can be a penalty to pay for a good K/cb design: my boat is significantly more ballasted (50%) than other 38 footers. This means she needs to carry more canvas (but I have found her very fast and a SA of 700 sq ft is fine with me). Personally, that was an attribute I found positive. To others it may not be.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook