SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
paulo - i completely agree with you...
used to do motorcycle races (600 cc) and there it is the same - what is fast, is beautiful!
on another note - interesting read here: The relationship between displacement, power and performance in Open 60 design : Owen Clarke Design - Yacht Design and Naval Architects
It is not a question of agreeing, it is an analyses of what happens in what regards sailor' perception regarding what they find beautiful (and why) and I do understand and find beauty in both concepts, the one I called modern and the other I called traditional: I have posted on this thread many designs of Gerard Dijkstra one of the contemporary masters in what regards what I call "traditional" design and I do love his designs as I do love some of Bob Perry designs.

Regarding that Owen and Clark link it is an interesting one but it is more about power versus speed and show that not always the more powerful is the faster at least in what regards solo sailing. No news there, any racer even from the motorsport world knows that: power is just a part of the equation, an important one for sure but not the only one.

The "modern" approach in what regards the search for beauty trough performance shapes is today more widespread in yacht design than the use of traditional shapes and you are right into pointing out that is also the Owen and Clark approach. we can see that not only on their designs but also on this quotes that we find on their site:

"Those who fall in love with practice yet without science are like a sailor who steers a ship without helm or compass, and who never can be certain whither he is going"

Leonardo da Vinci

For all Owen Clarke Design projects, the common denominator is performance, regardless of whether the yacht is a cruising or racing design.

Owen and Clark

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-15-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook