SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Been on both sides of this discussion. Have only used crew on passages in recent times.
End of this month asked to crew a sistership from BVI to Bahamas. Owner and wife and me my wife. Assume
1. Get there go provision. Given they are supplying the boat we will buy all food/drink. We will go together so what's bought is to everyone's liking.
2. He will buy diesel and pay fees associated with in/out various countries.
3.If we spend time in marinas those fees are split.
4If we visit restaurants those bills are split
5. Transport to/from boat are each persons responsibility.
Above has not been discussed -it's assumed. In short owner of boat is responsible for expenses boat directly generates. Those expenses would exist regardless of who is on the boat. Each person is responsible for expenses they directly generate. Those expenses exist because that person is on the boat. Given running a boat is expensive and the crew hopefully is doing this because they either think it's fun or they want the experience paying for incidental expenses such as food/drink for all seems only reasonable. I've crewed and owned boats for decades I've always assumed this is the way it would be. Then again I've only dealt with people I've known not crew gotten through a service. In that case when interviewing I would be explicit that above is expected. When stuff breaks unless it's due to gross negligence those are boat/owner expenses.