SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is a Genoa?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap1r0n
... If you only get one good reef out of one of these systems, then what size jenny do I need to consider for the system when I get it? 150? 130?
The advice with my furlex is to take in 3-4 turns for the first reef, thereafter its continuous down to nothing. Frankly, on a cruising yacht in winds over 35 knots, the difference between a furled genoa and a full jib of the same area is a bit acedemic. Yes, the jib is better aerodramatically, but in 35 knots you have plenty of wind to spare, so the difference only counts on the famous lee shore. But you can still claw your way away from it with a furled genoa and reefed main.
I experimented a lot with furling and reefing last year (plenty of wind), with mine, taking down the main and using more genoa area seems to point better, but with running, the reefed main seems better than any genoa. It depends on the boat, I guess. I previously used a 150 genoa, but it really only helps a little when poled-out down wind, when the spi is better anyway. So my new sail is 140 and I don't notice the difference in power, except it points better.
Having said that, my scruffy old jib points just as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook