SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Hi P- I guess we live in different worlds. I crew for friends and have friends for crew. We are all solvent. We are good friends so we don't abuse each other or take advantage of each other. We figure out transport to and from the boat before any of us leave. As I said I have no experience with crew lists or services providing crew so to date none of the issues reviewed in the link you provided apply. I like to eat well. Given we provision together we all eat well. My friends are either working or if in retirement have family responsibilities so they have a limited window for which they are available. Issues of transport back and forth are paramount in their minds. The idea of leaving a friend destitute on a foreign shore is totally abhorrent to me. Would not leave you destitute on a foreign shore either but not knowing you would probably ask for evidence that that would not occur before letting you on my boat. Think it unreasonable to expect a captain to give crew a fully paid vacation unless it is established before the trip that such a professional relationship is what's what asked for. Also think if you abuse crew/friends you won't have crew/friends for long.