SailNet Community - View Single Post - Optimum Winch and Traveler Position for Single-Handing
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007

sailingguy123 is on a distinguished road
Optimum Winch and Traveler Position for Single-Handing

I am currently looking at the Elan Impression 384 and and the Grand Soleil 37 and noticed that the genoa winches are in two different places on each boat. In the Elan, they are positioned almost even with the steering wheel while in the GS 37, they are much further forward, maybe 5 feet ahead of the wheel. What is the reason for the different winch positions and which makes it easier to sail single-handed? I am guessing that it would be the one with the winch closer to the steering wheel but please let me know if I am wrong.

Also, what about the traveler location? Having it behind the wheel makes it a hassle to get in and out of the cockpit but having it within reach certainly seems like it would make it easier to make adjustments. Is this a big issue for solo sailing?

On a final note, the Elan has a roof-mounted travel and the closer winches while the GS 37 has the traveler right behind the wheel, but the winches are further forward. If you had to pick one configuration for solo sailing, which is better and why?

Thanks for all your help.
Sailingguy123
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook