SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone taken a Columbia 28 offshore?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone taken a Columbia 28 offshore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoneydew View Post
It came with the Atomic 4 in it, but it won't start. I had intended to put a diesel in it... which I have an Atomic 5411 and Hurth transmission that I will rebuild before I swap them. In the meantime I am planning to tinker around with the A4 to see if I can get it running and use it this spring/summer. Then I would have a running engine that I can sell.

I think I am set for main and jib (have roller furling), though I will likely look into getting a used set in case I blow something out. Haven't decided between drifter or spinnaker, but I need something for light wind. Been thinking about an Asymmetrical kit from sailrite. Thanks for the input... it will likely come down to cost, mostly. I need a storm jib that I can hank on over the furler too. Then I need a 30' dinghy to tow behind so I can haul all of this stuff with me!
In re your thoughts on repowering; it you're going offshore, go with a diesel. Gas turns to varnish, but diesel will last a year or two before you need to worry about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook