SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rounded bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes, I have posted before some older Portuguese sailing boats with rounded bows, in fact I have read in an old treaty that the rounded boats were a big improvement

The rounded bow gives more power to the boat (hull form stability) and in big seas, with the boat running adds buoyancy to the bow preventing it to dig the bow on the waves.
Thanks, Paulo. That makes sense to me.

It's interesting to me that NA's now are starting to realise - the hard way - that many of the old ways were not always complete rubbish to be tossed in the bin.. even if the designers from centuries ago did not always completely understand why what they had designed worked.

eg. Apparently the replica of ENDEAVOUR (the ship in my post) was a surprise to many that when she was launched it was discovered she didn't sail like a pig!.. She's since circumnavigated the globe at least once and is apparently happiest in big seas.

Last edited by Classic30; 01-16-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook