SailNet Community - View Single Post - How big a holding tank vs. camping
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 01-16-2014
Minnewaska

Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

It really gets me that humans are the only animal not permitted to relieve themselves on a mountain. There is a right and wrong way to do it, so that others don't have to sleep on the fresh. However, do some believe we don't belong on earth?

Back to holding tanks. While I've done it, I do not think its a good idea to leave urine in the bowl, if you have an electric macerating head. I'm trying to picture the setup, but I'm pretty sure the jocker valve is after the metal macerator, which will corrode in time.

Flushing clear water is the primary key to keeping the head and hoses from smelling. Salt water is fine, if it doesn't lie around long enough for organisms to die, as long as its clear and all waste has been flushed to the holding tank. With a vented loop above the water line, it takes a minimum of 1 gallon per flush to do so. More, for some reason, if you have an electric head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome