SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
post #5755 of Old 01-16-2014
Re: Rounded bows

Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
... And lifts the bow on a reach to plan earlier...
And on a close haul the bow is less 'dipped in' by the broad stern... The waterlines in a heeled situation is less - how to say - offline... But more in line with the course the boat is going...
There are a lot of merrits to a fat bow, but the main reason is lift to plan...
Nobody is more linguistically impaired than I am, when it comes to languages other than English. However, I'd like to call attention to a recurring spelling error that some of the posters make quite often in this thread.

When a boat attains sufficient speed and lift to break free from the limits of displacement sailing, the correct term to use is: "plane" or "planing"

The words "plan" and "planning" refer to the making of arrangements or contingencies -e.g., "I am planning a cruising vacation in Turkey this summer." Or "I don't know what I'm doing this summer as my wife is the one making the plan." "Plan" can also refer to a diagram or schematic, as in its use in the expression "plan form" - i.e., a graphical rendering of a particular yacht design.

I apologize for playing spelling policeman but hopefully nobody will take offense, as that was not my plan.

However, since English is such a ridiculous language, I should probably note the words "plain" and "plains" - the former means "ordinary or non-descript" while the latter refers to extended flat landscapes.

Again, I beg forgiveness for this brief spelling lesson. I was an English teacher at a very early stage of my career, so it is a difficult habit to break.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion of interesting boats, already in progress.

We deal in lead, friend.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome