SailNet Community - View Single Post - Optimum Winch and Traveler Position for Single-Handing
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Sail...

Really it depends...on race boats yes...there is faster boom moves, the winches normally are two speed allowing fine trim, and allow better control by a main man. Its just a more practical solution with less effort, and mainly a speed reason. Also and a big also...it allows the main control from either side of the boat, as the main sheet is a continuous loop. So In fact, while sitting at my wheel on the high side I have both sails controls near me..as I tack, I move to the other side...and BINGO...same sail controls there!!!! clever, huh??

The purchase system is normally used on smaller boats, altough some large racing boats also have it with a larger purchase for course trim, and a smaller purchase in series for fine trim. I don't like it...takes a lot of speed from it.

In a boat like the GS...it really is not that important...you are not racing..just sailing fast...
its pretty good too...you will not sit right behind the whell, like on a Formosa...you'll be sitting on the side...enjoying balcony view, sheet at your feet!!!

I would love to make you a drwaing, but have work to do, and my IP does not allow photobucket access..I'll try tonight at the Hotel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook