SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safety Lines with Flags?!
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2002

davidk is on a distinguished road
Safety Lines with Flags?!

Can anybody explain this one? My perspective is from Europe is it any different in the U.S.?

In fitting out a new boat we are following the latest ORC lists for safety equipment and standards. On the issue of safety lines (if you call them something different I mean the line between your harness and the jackstay or static clip-on point). The regulations (for racing) state that from 2001 all safety lines must incorporate a flag in the stitching such that if there is a force applied exceeding 200Kgf the stitching will ''fuse'' to rip open and let the flag fall out .... thus you know you are supposed to replace your line. I went round (I think all) the UK manufacturers at both Southampton and London boatshows this year and not one of them could supply such equipment. (In fact most of them hadn''t seen the not altogether new regulation!). Anyway we have bought new lines with no flags, but in the knowledge we could be found wanting if checked against official regulations ahead of a Class1 race. Whats going on in the U.S.?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook