SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?

18K views 78 replies 30 participants last post by  bblument 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, Im a long time reader of this forum but never really post anything. I in a point in my life where I considere taking 1 or 2 year off to travel and clear my head and look for new opportunity and horizon.

I am new to sailling, I have a Tanzer 7.5 that i bought 2 years ago and i have been sailling the st-laurence river in Québec city for 2 years now. The river is fun to sail but can also be challenging with the 20' tide that we have.

I would like to go cruising for 1 year or 2, got some money aside +/-75k. What would you suggest I do. I look at different option. I shop for a 28 to 35' boat around 20 to 30k. I wonder if I should cross the atlantic from halifax to azores than go to carrabean or cross form Florida to carrabean. I have zero open water experience I read alot on the subject.

English is my secong language so excuse the many grammatical error that i probably did.

Im looking for guidance, idea, tips on where should I start if I want to go cruising.

Thank you!

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah south is a good idea, I was wondering if buying a boat already there (carrabean) is a good idea?

Is it too expensive outfitting a boat overthere? Would you advice against it?
If you can find something you like that is already there, I would go for it. Depending on where that boat is it may be more or less costly than outfitting it in Canada or US, but usually not by much. Try to find a boat that already has what you need. Much cheaper option most of the time.

#6 ·
I was under the impression after reading many threads about bluewater boats and the like that hunter/catalina/beneteau were cheap coastal cruiser and should be avoid if considering taking on the sea.

But i like the idea of not spending all my money on a boat that is way to good for what I want to do and where I want to go. I might want to go further after a while so that is why a was looking at albin vega, alberg and the like...

If i go with your suggestion of test sailing a boat in florida then traverse to the carribean. What is the ideal time frame from the purchase of the boat to the crossing ?

#9 ·
LaVarlope,

A nice sounding plan! We know a few people who did multi-year cruising and some doing half year cruising. I called it, "retirement on the installment plan".

You might consider looking for a Nor'Sea 27.We lived aboard ours (Jill and I) from 1996 to 2008 full time. We cruised from 04 to late 08 down the west coast. They are not as low a cost as many, but more capable.

BUT, the beauty of the boat is that it is capable of circumnavigating (many have) yet can be stored on a trailer to be towed (by the owner) cross country when wanting to go to weather at 55 MPH. Also when not cruising, it's VERY low cost to store close to home, even when far from water.

Just an idea!

Greg

#11 ·
#12 ·
How are those 27 pocket cruiser? I own a 25' tanzer and cannot imagine living on it for a long period of time.

I know that they have more headroom and better function. They must be confortable for you to live on it for 12 years. was yours the aft cabin model?

That nor'sea is not to far from where i live I could go look at it. What should I be worried about and look for??

#13 ·
How are those 27 pocket cruiser? I own a 25' tanzer and cannot imagine living on it for a long period of time.

I know that they have more headroom and better function. They must be comfortable for you to live on it for 12 years. was yours the aft cabin model?

That nor'sea is not to far from where i live I could go look at it. What should I be worried about and look for??
Our Nor'Sea is the aft cabin model. It is VERY comfortable for a couple to live aboard! We even had 2 of our boys stay for a time in the aft cabin. It still is our home for half a year at a time. You can see a lot of info about ours on our web site and on our Youtube page (listed in the sig area below).

If you can, take a look at the one close to you. I agree, it looks like a very good price! The major item I would be concerned with is the fuel tank, but the ad said it's new.

If you do decide to get interested in one, there is a Nor'Sea Yahoo group (Yahoo Groups) with a LOT of info and owners (13140 + messages and over 580 members).

Attachments

#15 ·
Thank you for all the boat suggestion this should put me on the right track.

What are the cost of cruising the carribean? Is it easy to anchor in protected bays? Is the food expensive over there? IS a budget of 1500$/month reallistic?

what do boaters usually do in the summer over there? everybody leaves or are there safe place to store the boat in the huricanne season?

#18 ·
First know that I departed Lk Michigan out the St Lawrence in 2008 and just completed an around the world. I loved the Gaspe, NF and NS!
Your question is really a big one, so many variables. Purchase price of 20-30k limits the field a lot making it difficult but is doable. If you want a strong sea-going vessel look for something like a Baba 35 or Cabo Rico. Problem will however be finding even a 20 year old boat of this quality for under 50k without having to put a lot of work into it.
The "plastic fantastics" like benny's can be fine but do require better sailing skills in heavy seas. The spade/fins do not heave to like the traditional boats but you can get a lot of boat for the money. My personal take however would be stay away from the older Hunters. The discussion of what boat could go on and on but you will be challenged to find a sea worthy boat in that price range if looking for 35 ft or larger.
The route to the med is not that difficult from NF or Halifax but in the normal passage period of May and June you can get slammed my strong gales north of about 39 degrees so some experience would of course help, thus a crew perhaps??
To get your feet wet so to speak consider going through the Bras d'Or Lakes and then down and around Nova Scotia to Maine and then down the US eastern seaboard working your way to your first winter cruising in the far Bahamas. You will love it and that is a good distance for a one year cruise from where you are.

#20 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of tough decisions. I think at the start of it, you perhaps need to make decisions about what you are planning. There is a huge difference between crossing the Atlantic from Halifax to Azores and then sailing down to the Caribbean vs. simply working your way down the U.S coast, crossing from Florida to the Bahamas and then down to the Caribbean.

If you are taking the first route, you are out of land for longer periods and more exposed to seriously bad weather. If you are going that route, then you want to pick a boat which is really designed for offshore use. And if you are doing this on a tight budget, i.e. the money that is left from $75K after you have set aside enough money to cruise for a couple years, you are probably looking for an older 30 to 32 foot cruiser and not a recycled racer-cruiser or value oriented coastal cruiser. In other words, probably almost none of the boats recommended above.

The high production volume, value oriented, coastal cruisers mentioned above that are within your price range are more than likely going to be tired and worn out. For a very few dollars more, you can typically buy an equal size boat that started out as a better design with better construction techniques. (The hull to deck joint on the Catalina 30 should take it off your list if nothing else about the boat does.)

The high production volume, value oriented, coastal cruisers may be okay for the coastal routes, but it would greatly raise the risks and maintenance cost to try to use them for the offshore routes. The small offshore cruisers are neat boats for that kind of thing, but I would expect them to be well outside your price range or well past their 'use by' date if they were in your price range. The one exception is the Nebe, which may work, but I would be cautious about a thirty year old steel boat that someone is only asking $15K for.

But if you are doing the US Coast to Bahamas to Caribbean route, then you might get by with a high volume, coastal cruisers since the hops are short and you are usually close enough to a safe harbor to pick a decent weather window and to repair facilities should you need them.

I am also skeptical of the advice to buy a boat in Florida. Florida typically has had slightly less expensive prices than other areas of the continent, but the Florida climate is very hard on a boat. So when I have looked at some of these so-called bargain boats in Florida, they have rarely been worth their asking price.

The reality is that boats from Canada, Great Lakes, and New England have generally been sailed less due to the shorter sailing season, have not had the harsh UV exposure, and have longer maintenance sesons. As a result they are generally in better condition, and their prices are not all that different than the prices in Florida, especially when you are comparing boats of equal condition.

Respectfully,
Jeff

#22 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of tough decisions. I think at the start of it, you perhaps need to make decisions about what you are planning. There is a huge difference between crossing the Atlantic from Halifax to Azores and then sailing down to the Caribbean vs. simply working your way down the U.S coast, crossing from Florida to the Bahamas and then down to the Caribbean.

Jeff
Thank you Jeff very helpfull post. You are right, I have to make up my mind about where to go , than defining my need for what kind of boat I need will be clearer. Thing is I eventually want to be crossing a ocean but maybe it will be wise to play it safe an gain experience going along the coast . Im still young (33) but i dont know if I will have the same opportunity ever again, no debt, money in my pocket, no kids or family obligation....

I would like to purchase the boat this spring to test sail it this summer and make the prepartion than go.

#21 ·
I second what Jeff says....

Also, you may want to look at some of the older boats that were designed for offshore work that have been sailed up north and taken care of. Here's an example:

1975 Allied Princess 36 Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I have no idea of the condition of this boat other than reading the listing, but something like this could give you the option of bluewater or coastal crusing at somewhere near your budget.

#25 ·
I found this boat near where i live. Allied princess Ketch 1975 hull #58. talk to the broker today and they are asking 40k for it negociable. Anybody has experience with this kind of boat? To big for singlehanders or a crew of 2? How much should i expect to put into her before considering making long distance cruise? i have a survey of the boat from 2010, looks clean. It has 150L water tanks and 150L diesel tank. Boat is to old?Moisture meter in 2010 has shown 20% to 40% humidity pretty much all over (deck and hull) good or bad?

#26 ·
Those boats look to be capable off shore cruisers . I would say that if you want answers about the boat , you must get a mechanic to look over the engine, then a rigger, then a general survey . As far as single handing that is a matter of how you rig the boat, like auto pilot, roller furling, lines leading aft . But then you will want to do that to some extent for any boat . Good luck !

#27 ·
OH BULL CRAP.. There aren't more than a hand full of you old ladies that can stand up to even half of what the average Catalina or Hunter can withstand. Why would you want to piss away a whole lot more money on some over built tank that can't get out of it's own wake with any kind of speed. All this horn honking is ridiculous. Buy a boat that is big enough to serve its purpose, provision it and get the hell out of the marina. If you listen to all these arm chair quarterbacks you'll never go anywhere.

#28 ·
Buy a boat that is big enough to serve its purpose, provision it and get the hell out of the marina. If you listen to all these arm chair quarterbacks you'll never go anywhere.
That is my big question,the size. This is a huge step for me, the purchase of the boat, I don't want to regret going too small or too big. I am willing to invest a major chunck of my saving to live the dream.

I found an Albin vega in NS 1969 for 10k with a trailler hul #0703. I am going to see it in 2 weeks to judge if i like this kind of boat. I figure that with a boat this cheap I cannot go wrong but still would of like a boat around 30' or so. That boat was updated in 08 for cruising so this could keep the cost of refit down.

Is it worth it to look at a 45 years old boat???

#30 · (Edited)
Hey, I am now getting a little closer to the dream. After many boat visited, I even went to San Carlos, Mexico to look at some boat over there I think I have found what I am looking for. It's a Tartan34c that I have found in Maine. Plan is to splash it next spring the start cruising from there, do the whole east coast till fall, then head south for winter, then who knows...

Anybody here knows good surveyer in the belfast Area? I also wonder how it works when a Canadian buys a boat in the state and start cruising from there. How do I register it as a canadian vessel? Would also like some input if any of you ever have sailed a Tartan34.

#31 · (Edited)
BIG MISTAKE --------- LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Nothing wrong with the type of boat you are buying it is just you are buying it in the wrong place.

Assuming your second year is going to be trying to get to the Caribbean there is a reason that the route is called the Thorny Path.

Buy somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean and sail the Windwards and Leewards for a year maybe heading down to Guyana for an adventure. Then sail back to the USA for your second year BVI USVI Puerto Rico DR Turks and Caicos and finally the Bahamas. If you do this you will be able to SAIL most of the time and again most of it with a warm wind over your shoulder. I know because that is where I sail. Coming south from Maine I can almost guarantee you will spend a lot of time motoring down the ditch then you get to do the Thorny Path..

Cmon fly to Trini and buy this Dynamite Marine Ltd (Chaguaramas, Trinidad and Tobago) It is even Canadian registered !

You will be Caribbean cruising in a week. The living is easy and the rum is cheap. Fewer naked ladies than there used to be though.

#35 ·
Im no expert but I have dabbled...in this used boat thing

if you dont carry your tools, are 100 percent profficient in all systems, can change bulkheads, do glass work recore decks, do all rigging etc..no matter how good of a bargain said boat is overseas you will loooooooooooooooooooose money and spend money big time doing what you could easily at "home"

now there are exceptions to the rule, and luck plays a part too, but what the op feels is valid...

playing it safe is fine.

now
chaguaramas has a fame for having great deals, boat work, and services...so thats solid advice too

Reactions: LaVarlope
#40 ·
You will find that having work done in Trini is much cheaper than the states.

I had my 44 ft boat Awlgripped there. for $4200 US inclusive of materials. That was prep removing old paint by sanding, 3 coats of primer and 3 top coats plus boot top in a different color.

Go price that in the US.

Most jobs will 1/3 to 1/2 what it would cost in the US.

#36 ·
Get a Mac 26 with water ballast and 65 hp OB. You could trailer it anywhere. Take it Florida, sail the Keys for experience. Watch the weather and hop across to West End in Bahamas UNDER POWER at 10 kts then sail the Abacos. I have a friend in Marsh HArbor and that is what he does (he lives on it) and he takes it further down all the way to Cat Island and if he can get there then it is easier to get to Georgetown.
Smaller boat, lower costs, much lower. You could even take your trailer across to Marsh harbor and keep her on it to save money.
Get tired of Abaco, go down to Eluthras and then Exumas, island hop to Turks and Caicos and then to Hispaniola.
Suggesting the Mac26 will get me accused of blasphemy but it is a far more practical boat than the Norsea27 and I maintain is actually a safer option as it can float in almost no water allowing it to be beached or moved into very shallow anchorages. At 10-12 kts with the big 65 hp outboard, it'll get you to safety in a hurry while the heavy boats are plodding to safety at 4.5 kts.
Good used Mac 26 will not cost too much.

#37 ·
Get a Mac 26 with water ballast and 65 hp OB.
..<SNIP>.....
Suggesting the Mac26 will get me accused of blasphemy but it is a far more practical boat than the Norsea27 and I maintain is actually a safer option as it can float in almost no water allowing it to be beached or moved into very shallow anchorages. At 10-12 kts with the big 65 hp outboard, it'll get you to safety in a hurry while the heavy boats are plodding to safety at 4.5 kts.
Good used Mac 26 will not cost too much.
There are SO MANY types of boats out there at all different prices. But we NEED to consider what LaVarlope said in the original post.

He said, " I look at different option. I shop for a 28 to 35' boat around 20 to 30k. I wonder if I should cross the atlantic from halifax to azores than go to carrabean or cross form Florida to carrabean."

The Mac might be the choice for some one who want to sail protected waters from time to time. But I don't think it's up to crossing the Atlantic. A cared for Nor'Sea 27 has no problem with that voyage and can still be trailed from place to place almost like the Mac, just a bigger truck.

Disclaimer, I own and cruise a Nor'Sea and Jill and I lived aboard 24/7/365 for many years at dock and full time cruising in the Pacific, and recently for 4+ months in the Gulf of Mexico.

Greg

#38 ·
Yes and i started this post 8 month ago, been looking at many boats since then. I got to understand what is the use boat market other then just looking at adds on yatchworld. The trip to Mexico really opened my eyes as to what work it will be to buy a boat that far away from home.

But to step away from real life for 2 years and taking a huge chunk of my net worth in the process sailing right of the bat in paradise other the motoring from port to port is to be considered.

I will get in contact with the guys in Dynamite see what's what otherwise I'll go with the Tartan34 and hope to cast off next spring.

Thanks guys and will keep you posted.

#39 ·
I will get in contact with the guys in Dynamite see what's what otherwise I'll go with the Tartan34 and hope to cast off next spring.

Thanks guys and will keep you posted.
A Tartan 34 looks like a good choice for you!
Good luck, have FUN and let us know how it goes.

Greg

#41 ·
I think you will do fine with that Tartan. You asked about anchoring in the Caribbean. You can anchor basically anywhere without a problem. Really good ground tackle is a cheap investments (which anchor is a constant battleground here so I won't get into it now). $1500 a month is ample. We cruised in the Caribbean on a 45 footer on less than that without having to cut corners. If you don't had this book, get it. It lays out how you get from Florida to the Eastern Caribbean without too much pain. It is a tough route because you are battling the trade winds. The book suggests how to use frontal systems to make easing.

The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward: Mr. Bruce Van Sant: 9781470146962: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oigQpeEoL.@@AMEPARAM@@51oigQpeEoL

#43 ·
So I come across this thread, and tomorrow my family of five begin our year of sailing to the Caribbean. I have a post about how I chose our boat on our blog, a tartan 41. We have been two years in the planning, it all comes to fruition tomorrow.

We are heading down the east coast and them doing the Carib 1500 to quickly get to the tropics. I thought about going via the Bahamas but that would have eaten almost the whole year just getting there!

Check out the blog, and hopefully I'll be able to post something useful for you.

#44 ·
So I come across this thread, and tomorrow my family of five begin our year of sailing to the Caribbean. ...snip...
CONGRATS!!! Have a GREAT time!
Take it easy and enjoy the trip, don't rush.

Greg

#46 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. Remember time is no longer your master and schedules and itineraries that are set in stone will get you beaten up.

Nothing wrong with diverting to the Bahamas if it gets real snotty out there going south. The Bahamas are a great cruising area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.