SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curious Customs: Setting Price Before Setting Sail?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Curious Customs: Setting Price Before Setting Sail?

That is customary with boats under a broker. It saves them and the owner from taking people for joyrides (the owner generally has to be aboard).

Private sellers vary. When selling my last boat, I refused to take people for rides. If they don''t know the boat, they are not going to put a contract on it anyway. I relented only once. These folks spent two hours looking at the boat, swore they were serious and demanded I take them for a ride before they made any offer. Well... I took them out, we cruised for quite a while and they loved the boat. Got back to the dock and they said they would think about it. They made me a low ball offer a week later. I sold the boat to someone else who came in at my price and knew the boat.

NEVER again would I take anyone out without a signed contract and earnest money. And... this is why many people use and will continue to use brokers.

Just my $0.02.

best of luck.

By the way, I think the 350 is extensively reviewd in the "Practical Guide to Boat Buying" by the folks from Practical Sailor. You can also purchase the individual review from their web site.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook