SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing NE Florida to the Abacos
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing NE Florida to the Abacos

Melyea, I may get some grief by others but I see no significant issue with your plan. First a short trip like the one proposed is barely what I would even call a "passage". You're talking 300nm or less and weather forecasting is generally very good for the two (three at most) days you will need. I have come down offshore from much further north (Hampton Va) and it is no big deal. Sometimes it's fun to take a more challenging route that requires more tack changes and decision making.
Your draft of course will play a big role in where you enter but just be sure to have the Explorer ChartBook for north Bahama and you will be fine. There are obviously only a finite number of places you can safely enter but much of that will depend on where you find yourself as you approach. Of course only enter in the daytime but that is a given.
BTW I just finished sailing around the world and I think the Bahamas are some of the best cruising grounds anywhere!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook